Dr. Mallika Tewari
MBBS (Hons & Gold Medallist), MS (General Surgery), MRCSEd (U.K.), M.Ch. (Surgical Oncology)
- UICC ICRETT HPB, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Centre, USA
- ESSO (European Society of Surgical Oncology) Fellowship HPB & Transplant Surgery, Heidelberg, Germany
- International Guest Scholarship (IGS) of the American College of Surgeons HPB, MD Anderson Cancer Centre, John Hopkins, Mayo Clinic, Aurora Denver
Senior Program Lead Surgical Oncology
Dr. Mallika Tewari is a senior Surgical Oncologist with expertise in HepatoPancreatoBiliary (HPB) and Gastrointestinal (GI) Surgical Oncology. She is working as a Full Time Senior Consultant and Program Lead Surgical Oncology at Wockhardt Hospitals both at Mira Road and Central Mumbai. She has over 19 years of experience in Surgical Oncology.
Dr. Mallika has had an outstanding brilliant academic record having passed her MBBS and MS with 10 Medals and over 23 academic prizes, topper of the batch with distinctions in Surgery, Medicine, Ophthalmology and Pathology, Best Outgoing Resident Medal and Best M.Ch. Thesis award of the ICMR, New Delhi. She has completed her surgical training from Institute of Medical Sciences (IMS), Banaras Hindu University (BHU), Varanasi and All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi and also cleared Intercollegiate MRCS, U.K. and USMLE in her first attempt. She has worked as Assistant Professor, Department of Surgical Oncology, IMS, BHU and rose to the rank of Professor & Head of the Department and Chief of the HPB & GI Division. She is a M.Ch., DNB & PhD (Surgical Oncology) examiner and teacher with an over all teaching experience of 22 years.
Dr. Mallika is the current Editor of Indian Journal of Surgery, the official journal of the Association of Surgeons of India (ASI) and has served as Executive Member of the Indian Association of Surgical Oncology, U.P. Chapter of ASI and World Federation of Surgical Oncology Societies, awarded 2 orations and a medal. She has over 110 publications and written a book on ‘Surgery for Pancreatic & Periampullary Cancer’ published by Springer recently with 15000 downloads. She is also a member of ICMR Cancer Task Force, Reviewer of several reputed international journals like Surgery, Journal of Surgical Oncology, World Journal of Surgery, Pancreas etc. and regular invited faculty to various conferences of Surgical Oncology.
- MBBS, M.S. (Hons, Gold medalist)
- M.Ch (Surgical Oncology)
- MRCS. ED
With more than 19 years of experience in Surgical Oncology she has performed a wide range of surgeries (over 20,000) and specializes in the management of Pancreatic, Bile duct, Gallbladder cancer and Fast track/ Enhanced Recovery after Surgery (ERAS) protocols that help in early discharge of patients after major surgeries of the HPB & GI tract:
- Whipple/ Pylorus Resecting Pancreaticoduodenectomy for Pancreatic & Periampullary Cancer – performed maximum number of Whipple surgery with ERAS protocol in Northern India with excellent patient outcomes
- Radical Cholecystectomy for Gallbladder Cancer
- Whipple/ Wide excision + liver resection for Bile duct Cancer/ Klastkin Tumors
- Hepatectomy/ anatomical resections for colorectal liver metastasis/ Liver Cancer
- Radical Gastrectomy (Distal/Total/ Extended) for Stomach Cancer and GEJ Type III Cancer
- Colectomies for Colon Cancer
- Abdomino Perineal resection (APR)/ Sphincter Preserving Low Anterior Resection (LAR) for Rectal Cancer
- Resection for Small Intestine Cancer like Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors (GIST), etc.
- Conservative Breast Surgery with Sentinel Lymph node/ Modified Radical Mastectomy for Breast Cancer
- Radical Hysterectomy for Cancer Uterus and Cervix
- Optimal Cytoreduction for Cancer Ovary
- Radical Nephrectomy for Kidney Cancer
- Partial/Total amputation of penis with lymph node dissection for penile cancer
- Radical Vulvectomy with lymph node dissection for Vulvar cancer
- Wide excision for skin tumors
- SENIOR RESIDENCY (Surgical Oncology) Dept. of Surgical Oncology,Dr. BR Ambedkar Institute Rotary Cancer Hospital A.LI.M.S., New Delhi 2003 to 2004
- SENIOR RESIDENCY (Surgical Oncology) Dept. of Surgical Oncology I.M.S., B.H.U., Varanasi 2004
- M.Ch. (Surgical Oncology) Dept. of Surgical Oncology L.M.S., B.H.U., Varanasi 2006 to 2009
- Assistant Professor Dept. of Surgical Oncology I.M.S., B.H.U., Varanasi 2010 to 2014
- Associate Professor Dept. of Surgical Oncology I.M.S., B.H.U., Varanasi 2014 to 2017
- Head Dept. of Surgical Oncology LM.S., B.H.U., Varanasi 2014 to 2017
- Professor Dept. of Surgical Oncology L.M.S., B.H.U., Varanasi 2017 - till date
ABSTRACTS & PRESENTATIONS
Guest Lectures/ Symposia/ Panel:
- Upcoming Aug-Sep 2019 Invited faculty MAX Cancer Congress, New Delhi, ASI A.P. Chapter, Vijayawada, NATCON Kolkata
- Invited Faculty, Oncosurg Oct 2018 Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai
- Invited Faculty, Guest Lecture ‘Recent Advances in Management of Cancer Stomach’ MASICON 2018, Aurangabad, Maharashtra
- IASO NATCON Thiruvananthpuram 2018; participated in Panel on Cholangiocarcinoma
- ICC, Bengaluru; participated in a Panel on Extended resections in HPB cancer
- IASO MIDCON PGI Chandigarh, presented a master video on Pancreaticojejunostomy
- NATCON 2016, Jodhpur and presented a master video on Pancreaticogastrostomy and Pancreaticojejunostomy
- ASICON, New Delhi; participated in a Panel on Gallbladder Cancer and presented a video on Pancreaticogastrostomy
- American College of Surgeons Annual Meeting, San Francisco, USA October 2014 (1) paper: Dendritic cells in Gallbladder Cancer (2) Guest lecture Gallbladder Cancer: Indian scenario
- Gallbladder Cancer; Grand Rounds, University of Colorado, Denver, USA: Gallbladder Cancer October 2014
- Gallbladder Cancer in India; at Dept. of HPB Surgery, John Hopkins University, Baltimore, USA October 2014
- MIDCON IASO Bhopal March 2015, (1) Panel member Emergencies in Cancer, (2) presented a video on Pancreaticogastrostomy
- National Conference on Advances in Shalya Tantra, Varanasi, April 2015 and presented Guest Lecture (1) Gallbladder Cancer
- NATCON September 2014, Chennai Panel member : GIST
- CME Lecture ASICON 2012, Kolkata
- Symposium on Pancreaticoduodenectomy - moderator, ASICON 2012, Kolkata
- CME Lecture ASICON 2011, Kochi
- CME Lecture NATCON 2011, Lucknow
- Guest Lecture UPASICON, Haldwani 2011
- Symposium convener, Indian Association of Surgical Oncology- NATCON 2010, Mumbai
- Symposium convener, Indian Association of Surgical Oncology- NATCON 2009, Kolkata
- CME Lecture, ASICON 2010, New Delhi
- Guest Lecture UPASICON 2010, Kanpur
- Guest Lecture UPASICON 2008, Bareilly
- Guest Lecture Indian Association of Surgical Oncology- NATCON 2007, Ludhiana
- Presentation in Indian Breast Group Meeting, TMH, 2007, Mumbai
- Guest Lecture Chittaranjan Cancer Institute, 2007, Kolkata
- Guest Lecture UPASICON, 2007, Varanasi
Book as Editor:
Indexed/ International Publications:
- Thogari K, Tewari M, Mishra SP, Shukla HS. Pancreatic Exocrine Insufficiency occurs in most patients following Pancreaticoduodenectomy. Indian J Surg Oncol; 2019 [Accepted]
- Thogari K, Tewari M, Mishra SP, Shukla HS. Assessment of Exocrine Function of Pancreas following Pancreaticoduodenectomy. Indian J Surg Oncol; 2019 [Accepted]
- Thogari K, Tewari M, Mahendran R, Shukla HS. Tuberculosis Mimicking as Carcinoma Testis in a Young Patient. Indian J Surg; 2019
- Mahendran R, Tewari M, Dixit VK, Shukla HS. Enhanced recovery after surgery protocol enhances early postoperative recovery after pancreaticoduodenectomy. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. 2018 Dec 10. pii: S1499-3872(18)30271-6. doi: 10.1016/j.hbpd.2018.12.005. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 30573300.
- Tewari M, Swain J, Dixit VK, Shukla HS. Molecular Aberrations in Periampullary Cancer. Indian J Surg Oncol 2017 Sep; 8(3): 348-56.
- Tewari M. Significance of pathological positive superior mesenteric/portal venous invasion in pancreatic cancer. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int. 2016 Dec;15(6):572-578.
- Tewari M, Kumar S, Shukla S, Shukla HS. Analysis of wedge resection of gallbladder bed and lymphadenectomy on adequate oncologic clearance for gallbladder cancer. Indian J Cancer. 2016 Oct-Dec;53(4):552-557.
- Tewari M. Laparoscopic Pancreatic Resections for Cancer: Pushing the Boundaries. Indian J Surg. 2015 Oct;77(5):428-32.
- Tewari M. Pancreatic Cancer: a Challenge to Cure. Indian J Surg. 2015 Oct;77(5):350-7.
- Johri N, Patne SC, Tewari M, Kumar M. Diagnostic Utility of PAX5 in Hodgkin and Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma: A Study from Northern India. J Clin Diagn Res. 2016 Aug;10(8):XC04-XC07.
- Rai R, Kim JJ, Tewari M, Shukla HS. Heterogeneous expression of cholecystokinin and gastrin receptor in stomach and pancreatic cancer: An immunohistochemical study. J Cancer Res Ther. 2016 Jan-Mar;12(1):411-6.
- Srivastava AK, Tewari M, Shukla HS, Roy BK. In Silico Profiling of the Potentiality of Curcumin and Conventional Drugs for CagA Oncoprotein Inactivation. Arch Pharm (Weinheim). 2015 Aug;348(8):548-55.
- Singh AK, Pandey P, Tewari M, Pandey HP, Gambhir IS, Shukla HS. Free radicals hasten head and neck cancer risk: A study of total oxidant, total antioxidant, DNA damage, and histological grade. J Postgrad Med. 2016 Apr-Jun;62(2):96-101.
- Shukla HS, Sirohi B, Behari A, Sharma A, Majumdar J, Ganguly M, Tewari M, Kumar S, Saini S, Sahni P, Singh T, Kapoor VK, Sucharita V, Kaur T, Shukla DK, Rath GK. Indian Council of Medical Research consensus document for the management of gall bladder cancer. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol. 2015 Apr-Jun;36(2):79-84.
- Singh AK, Pandey P, Tewari M, Pandey HP, Shukla HS. Human mitochondrial genome flaws and risk of cancer. Mitochondrial DNA. 2014 Oct;25(5):329-34.
- Srivastava AK, Singh D, Tewari M, Shukla HS, Roy BK. Impact of Turmeric as dietary approach on HER2 status in blood of gastric cancer patients. International Journal of Phytomedicine 6 (2014) 293-299.
- Poorti P, Singh Kumar A, Singh M, Tewari M, Shukla HS, Gambhir IS. The see-saw of Keap1-Nrf2 pathway in Cancer. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2017 Aug;116:89-98.
- Tewari M, Verma A, Shukla HS. Carcinoma of the Ampulla of Vater Associated with Annular Pancreas. Indian J Surg. 2016 Oct;78(5):409-410.
- Tewari M, Singh R, Shukla HS. Chylous Ascites in Advanced Gallbladder Cancer. Indian J Surg. 2016 Oct;78(5):407-408.
- Tewari M, Shashikant P, Katiyar R, Biswas D, Shukla HS. Co-existence of Diffuse Serous Cyst Adenoma and Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumor. Indian J Surg. 2017 Oct;79(5):455-457.
Awards & Honors
- M.S. Gold medal for getting highest marks in Pathology.
- Bhagwandas Thakurdas Chandwani Gold Medal for standing First at Final M.B.B.S. Exam.,1998 in the I.M.S.
- Dr. Raghuvira Medal for standing First at the M.B.B.S. Exam.,1998.
- B.H.U. Medal for standing First at the Final M.B.B.S. Exam., 1998.
- Late Smt. Ram Bai Devji Mewawala Silver Medal for standing First at the Final M.B.B.S. Exam., 1998.
- Raj Kishore Kapoor Silver Medal for standing First at the Final M.B.B.S. Exam., 1998.
- Dr. S. Nath Memorial Gold Medal for securing highest marks in the subject Ophthalmology at the M.B.B.S. Exam., 1998.
- The Pfizer Gold Medal for topping the merit list in the Final M.B.B.S. Exam., 1998.
- Best Resident of I.M.S., B.H.U., Silver medal, 2002.
- The Indian Association of Surgical Oncology Meritorious Service Gold Medallion of Honor, [ASO 2006
- University Prize for securing highest marks at II" Prof. M.B.B.S.
- Proficiency Certificate for standing First in the 11" Prof. M.B.B.S.
- Proficiency Certificate for standing First in 111"? Prof. M.B.B.S.
- Ram Kumar Jalan Prize Rs.100/- for standing First at the M.B.B.S. Exam., 1998.
- B.H.U. Prize Rs.60/- for standing First at the M.B.B.S. Exam., 1998.