For Appointments Call - +918108101104

Enquire Now

Epilepsy Clinic

WHAT ARE SEIZURES AND EPILEPSY?

Seizure is defined as sudden, excessive abnormal electrical activity in the brain, and Epilepsy is a tendency to have recurrent and unprovoked seizures. Seizures may externally manifest in many forms like jerky limb movements, confusion, strange feelings, ‘blank’ stares, sudden falls, or loss of consciousness. These clinical symptoms and EEG (electroencephalography) help to identify the type of epilepsy. Once the type is determined, the cause of epilepsy needs to be found. Blood investigations and brain imaging studies aid in identifying the potential cause. Once the type of seizure and the cause is known, appropriate treatment with antiepileptic medication can be started. With systematic evaluation and the right treatment, a majority of persons with epilepsy can lead near normal lives.

Registration

Timings – Every Tuesday and Friday from 2 pm to 5 pm

Appointment number: 022 40543000

WHAT IS THE ROLE OF AN EPILEPSY CLINIC?

Approximately 70% of all epileptic patients will have a good response to antiepileptic medications and will be able to lead a reasonably good quality of life with the same. The remaining 30% of patients may be resistant to medications and those who have persistent of seizures despite being compliant with appropriately chosen and correctly dosed antiepileptic drugs may be considered for evaluation for surgery. When a clear focus of epilepsy in the brain is established clinically, by EEG, and by imaging, a good proportion of properly selected patients can have good outcomes with surgical management. In cases of refractory epilepsy where surgery isn’t an option, treatment using devices like vagal nerve stimulation or dietary therapies like Ketogenic Diet are other interventions that can be tried to reduce the frequency of disabling seizures. A multidisciplinary approach is needed to formulate the best treatment strategy for each patient.

Role of Nutrition in Epilepsy

Nutritional science plays a key role in the treatment and management of diseases either critical illness or other conditions such as Epilepsy.

The ultimate goal is to understand the interactions between diet and health; and aim to improve those nutritional interactions for better functioning.

The main objective of this program is to respond to the needs of the community. Dietary therapy is an approach to help control seizures, usually in conjunction with seizure medications.

 

There are two types of diet therapy:

  1. Ketogenic diet

The ketogenic diet has been used to reduce seizures since the 1920s.

The classic ketogenic diet is a special high fat, low carbohydrate diet usually used in children and now in adults with seizures that do not respond to medications.

The mechanism by which seizures are controlled is poorly understood. Both low sugar and high fat components in the diet have been reported to alter the excitability of the brain, thereby reducing the tendency to generate seizures.

  1. Modified Atkins diet

The Modifies Atkins Diet often known as MAD is a change to the traditional classic ketogenic diet to make it less restrictive. The diet is now over 14 years old and provides similar efficacy as the ketogenic diet.

Benefits of Diet Therapy

40-50% seizure reduction, including approximately 15% seizure-free.

Diet therapy may help to decrease their anti-seizure medicines and behavioral improvement.

Length of Time on the Diet

Once a person starts the diet, they should try to stay on it for 3 months. This gives the team time to fine-tune the diet and see if they have less seizures and plan the journey ahead accordingly.

SERVICES OFFERED BY OUR EPILEPSY CLINIC

Epilepsy Clinic is a specialized unit under the department of Neurology in collaboration with the Department of Neurosurgery.

The services we offer are:

  • Consultation and follow-up of both adult and pediatric epilepsy patients by a dedicated Epileptologist
  • Scalp EEG
  • Short-term, 24-hour, and prolonged 72-hour Video EEG monitoring as per patient requirement
  • Imaging services- MRI Epilepsy protocol, interpreted by experienced radiologists.
  • Neuropsychological evaluation
  • Presurgical evaluation in selected patients
  • Complete Nutritional Assessment (IPD & OPD), Personalized Meal Plan based on the presenting condition along with Advisory on diet-related active symptoms