At Wockhardt Cancer Centre, we offer holistic and integrated cancer treatment by offering high-quality personalized and evidence-based state-of-the-art management of all cancers. Our team of dedicated highly qualified and experienced super-specialist doctors is committed to achieving the best outcomes for all patients.
Our multidisciplinary team approach to managing cancers aims to improve survival rates, reduce morbidity, and preserve a good quality of life without compromising cure.
We boast cutting-edge sophisticated modern infrastructure and excellent pathology and radiology diagnostic services which help to arrive at an accurate diagnosis and to help tailor an appropriate, individualized care plan.
All the cutting-edge innovative surgical approaches like minimal access surgery, microvascular reconstructions, VATS, sentinel node biopsies, and advanced immune-oncological methods in addition to chemotherapy are provided under one roof.
It is now a well-established fact that treatment of cancer by a specialist Oncologist at specialized centers has a better likelihood of prolonged survival compared to those managed elsewhere. Our oncologists have unmatched expertise and long experience in managing cancers and are leaders in their own areas of specialization.
Our oncologists have participated in the formulation of cancer management guidelines at the national and international levels and have led numerous clinical and translational research studies. They have multiple publications in peer-reviewed national and international journals.
With a mission of improving the health of the people in the communities we serve, Wockhardt hospital offers the best cancer treatment in India and world-class patient care, confirming that our patients have access to the best care possible. Our highly experienced healthcare team members are always at your side for every step of your cancer treatment.
- Comprehensive Patient- Care:
Wockhardt Hospitals offers high-end ancillary experts along with a complete range of leading technologies and techniques that are there to support our treatment system. Our team of prodigious doctors addresses all the needs of the patients during the diagnosis, treatment, and survivorship.
- Innovative Treatment Methodologies:
Our doctors are leaders in developing innovative treatments that are changing the course of cancer care at a rapid clip. The treatments offered by our highly experienced Oncologists using the latest innovations and technologies are delivered in a way that maximizes the patient’s chances of a cure while minimizing side effects.
- The Experience You Can Trust:
We are the global leader in the fight to end cancer. We hold the depth of experience that contributes to every aspect of your care. Patients choose us not only for our decades of experience, top national rankings, and leadership in cancer prevention but also for the comprehensive care, we provide to eliminate cancer.
- Head & Neck
- Brain & Spinal Tumors
- GI & HPB
- Bone and Soft tissue
- Hematological malignancies
From diagnosis and planning to implementation and follow-up, the management of a cancer patient is a complex process.
Cancer treatment involves multiple specialties( Surgical, medical and radiation oncology, molecular oncology, pathology, radiology, palliative oncology, oncopsychology, oncorehabilitation, etc.), and the best outcome in any patient can be ensured only if all decisions are taken collectively by all specialists involved.
A tumor board is a group of such specialists who meet periodically and discuss the best approach to the management of cancer patients. It ensures that there are many heads planning holistic management of a patient.
We at Wockhardt Cancer Centre have Tumor boards managed by “Disease Management Groups” ( a group of oncologists specializing in a single type of cancer) where each newly registered patient is discussed threadbare to arrive at the best possible treatment plan. This facilitates academic discussions, data capturing and introspection about day to day working of the DMG. These tumor boards are the backbone of our work to ensure the best evidence-based practices for each individual patient.
For example, while the surgical oncologist may think a patient will benefit from surgery, a medical or radiation oncologist may offer to treat the patient before surgery so as to make the surgery easier for both the surgeon and the patient or to further improve the chances of cure. Similarly, a pathologist stuck in diagnosing a case may benefit from the input of a radiologist on a tumor board. Furthermore, the treatment of a cancer patient may require major or minor changes from time to time, depending on the response to treatment, which requires detailed discussions among all oncology specialists.
Apart from this very crucial role, tumor boards at Wockhardt Hospitals are also great platforms for sharing of latest academic knowledge and updates across specialties, which is not possible to have within individual departments.
Treatment through Surgery in Surgical Oncology where the removal of the tumour and surrounding tissue is carried. The goal of the surgical oncologist is to diagnose cancer, find its location, remove the tumour following prerequisites (after understanding whether it is operable or not) and ascertaining its spread.
1) Surgical Oncology can be used for the diagnosis of certain cancer through the biopsy procedures carried out through the surgical procedure which could be with an incisional biopsy or excisional biopsy. The importance of staging can find out through surgery which ascertains the Staging surgery is performed the size of the tumour and its spread (lymph nodes).
2) In surgical oncology removal of the tumour can be done for primary or curative treatment for the tumour.
In conventional surgery, the oncosurgeon makes large incisions through the skin, muscle, and sometimes bone. Today less-invasive techniques may speed recovery and reduce pain afterwards. Types of minimally invasive surgery like laparoscopic minimally invasive surgery, cryosurgery and laser surgery are often now implemented in oncosurgery.
In Radiation Oncology, High-energy radiation through rays are given on the tumour site to destroy cancer cells, in this type of treatment is called radiation therapy. In this type of oncology treatment specific number of treatments given over a set period of time. The goal of the radiation oncologist would be that the radiation destroys the cancer cells and slow down the growth of the tumour, without harming nearby healthy tissue. This type of therapy is given after the main treatment to target any remaining cancer cells and to shrink the tumour size.
Types of radiation therapy in radiation Oncology include:
External-beam radiation therapy is the most common type of radiation treatment. It delivers radiation from a machine located outside the body on the target site.
Internal radiation therapy is also known as brachytherapy. Radioactive material is placed into cancer itself or into the tissue surrounding it to through implants.
Chemotherapy is the use of drugs to destroy cancer cells. It works by keeping the cancer cells from growing and dividing to make more cells. The main goal of chemotherapy is to get rid of all cancer and keep it from recurring. Chemotherapy can be either standard chemotherapy, traditional chemotherapy, or cytotoxic chemotherapy. Medical Oncologists use Chemotherapy to delay or slow down cancer growth. In medical oncology chemotherapy given to the patient depends upon, dose, and treatment schedule depends on many factors such as type of cancer, size, general health of the patient, side effects
In medical oncology chemotherapy is given through:
Intravenous (IV) chemotherapy or arterial, Oral chemotherapy, Injected chemotherapy, topical chemotherapy.
Other treatments protocols in Medical Oncology:
– Hormone therapy. These treatments change the number of hormones in your body. Hormones are chemicals your body makes naturally. They help control the activity of certain cells or organs. Doctors use hormone therapy because hormone levels control several types of cancers.
– Targeted cells of gene therapy
- Make smart food choices – Cancer risk can be drastically reduced by consuming a diet that includes more fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Cut down the consumption of salty, fatty and processed food items. Non-vegetarians should strictly limit the intake of red meat
- Reduce your sugar intake – Without Sugar, your body can survive heartily but Cancer can starve to death
- Experts believe that sugar is a major cancer fuel. Cancer cells derive their power from sugar hence the risk of this deadly disease can be minimized drastically by cutting down your sugar intake.
- Stay hydrated – Drinking plenty of water and other liquids helps in diluting the concentration of cancer-causing agents in urine and flushing them out through the bladder thus reducing the risk of bladder cancer
- Steer clear of Tobacco – Tobacco when consumed in any form, doubles the risk of developing cancer. While chewing tobacco causes oral and pancreatic cancer, smoking has been associated with cancer of the lungs, bladder, cervix and kidneys
- Limit alcohol consumption – Evidence links alcohol consumption to mouth & throat cancer (larynx and pharynx), oesophageal cancer, bowel cancer (colon and rectum), liver cancer and female breast cancer.
- Protect yourself from harsh sun rays – There is no such thing as a safe tan. Any amount of exposure to the sun can subject the skin to harmful ultraviolet rays, thereby increasing the risk of skin cancer. Prevent skin cancer by shielding the sun-exposed areas of the body with proper clothing. When it’s sunny outside, wear long-sleeved outfits, a wide-brimmed cap/hat and sunglasses.
- Exercise regularly – Research indicates that approximately 30 minutes of physical activity on a daily basis can decrease your cancer risk. What’s more…it also helps in maintaining an ideal body weight which could, in turn, lower your risk of developing breast cancer, colon cancer, lung cancer, prostate cancer and kidney cancer.
- Limit the use of Mobile phones – Studies have indicated a direct link between cell phone use and cancers of the brain, nerves and other tissues of the head/neck. This is because mobile phones communicate with base stations that make extensive use of RF radiation and if the intensity of this radiation is high, it can easily increase the body temperature, thereby giving rise to a wide range of health issues.
- Limit the intake of Tea and Coffee – Tea is ph value 6, while coffee is ph value 5, both of which are known to trigger acidic reactions. It can also cause major illnesses like cancer, ulcers etc. Drinking a glass of water before tea and coffee will minimize the damage.
- Go for periodic health checkups – Do not let your health take a backseat. Go for your periodic health check-ups as they can provide a better understanding of your current health status. Getting tested regularly will also help in the early detection and successful treatment of many kinds of cancer.
- When you are in our care, we are a family. Our multidisciplinary team offers a patient-centric treatment plan that aims toward a cancer-free journey and reclaims quality living. We offer support services in the form of counseling for patients and their families to help them nurture and sustain themselves throughout the cancer journey. Our care and compassionate support not only help in treating cancer but also help the patient to survive it.We’re here to help you strengthen your body, nurture hope, and courage, and enrich your spirit. We offer programs during the transition from cancer treatment to wellness, to help you navigate those changes and challenges while promoting your well-being.Some of the programs and services available for our patients:
- Nutrition Services for Cancer Patients
- Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation
- Patient & Family Counselling
- Palliative Care in Cancer
- Interventional Radiology
- Genetic Counselling